Dec 16 Event

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ron Liskey
Ron Liskey's picture
Dec 16 Event

I spoke today with Vaunda about our budding plans for Dec 16. She was happy to learn that Marias were involved, and expressed continued interest in the event, even asking if she could bring her children, which I was happy to agree to. I’m hopeful that this can become a powerful, thankful, cathartic, solemn and celebratory event. Although our plans are only beginning, I wonder if we should at least put put out word to reserve the date, so people can clear their calendars. How about if we send out something like the following? Is this too cryptic/crazy? Please edit as needed for general consumption.

===

Save The Date! Friday Dec 16, 2 - 5 PM

Change is in the wind, magic is afoot, and celebration’s are a’brewing. Clear your calendars on Friday Dec 16 (2 PM to 5 PM) for a unique gathering when we come together to honor all our relations, give thanks, remember our elders, and celebrate our children. Lots more information soon…

===

Some options for the event (in no particular order):

• Fifth grade performs an expanded version of our Winter performance
  • We thank those who gave much to our class, including KD and Alena
  • Vaunda and family share stories from their trip to Standing Rock
  • Potluck, with cook stove and a BIG pot of soup or stew
  • Shared meal, pick guitars, and hang out
Jessica Strachan
Jessica Strachan's picture

Exciting. What a nice idea before we break for two weeks. THANK YOU planners!

Ron Liskey
Ron Liskey's picture

I sent out the following announcement.

Dear Fifth Grade Families,

Change is in the wind, magic is afoot, and celebration’s are a’brewing! 

Mark your calendars on Friday Dec 16, 2 PM to 5 PM, for a unique gathering when we come together in the fifth grade classroom to honor all our relations, give thanks, remember our elders, and celebrate our children. Lots more information soon…

See you there!
Ron Liskey
ron@woodlandstarschool.org
wss4.ronliskey.com

Ron Liskey
Ron Liskey's picture

Possible agenda

• 2 PM: Room Setup
    • Students setup room, pack away desks, arrange chairs, decorate.
    • Parents who can come early, help with setup.
    • Optional: Start brewing a big pot of stew or chilli.
  • 3 PM: Potluck Setup
    • More parents arrive.
    • Potluck items arranged. 
    • Slide show of the year runs in thebackground. 
  • 3:30:PM: Potluck
    • Eat
  • 4:00 PM: Program
    • Opening and thanks to those who've helped our class.
    • Student performance
    • Vaunda presentation
    • Closing
  • 5:00 PM: Cleanup
    • Dish washing station set up at the kitchen.
    • Each family cleans up their own stuff.
    • A small group of volunteers finish room clean up.
Ron Liskey
Ron Liskey's picture

Some logistical questions

1. I would prefer that each family be responsible for their own children, and if no parent from a family can attend, then that child must be picked up. That sounds harsh, but it avoids liability issues that could cause the event to be shutdown. A backup plan is to see if Aftercare will supply childcare, but that would spread us around the school and does not seem in the spirit of the event.
  2. How many peple we can reasonably fit into the classroom. We gain a lot of space by stacking the desks out of the way, but we are potentially talking about 60 or so people. Should we consider reserving the Assembly room?
Ron Liskey
Ron Liskey's picture

Whoops! I just noticed that our updated school calendar shows Dec 16 as a Short Day, although it's not listed that way on the school website. I'm checking to confirm, but I think we'll find out school gets out at 1:10 PM. What does that do to parent's ability to attend a celebration? Should we aim for 1:10 PM or move it back into the evening? Or pick another day?

Linda Odetto
Linda Odetto's picture

I'm fine with whatever you choose to do. I don't mind taking on the responsibility for up to, including Kevin, five kids. Their parents can make arrangements with me, and if the parents are not there to pick up when we are done, I can take them home with me.

Linda

Ron Liskey
Ron Liskey's picture

I've confimed that December 12 is a short day. It's actually correct in the online calendar, but the title was too long to show without clicking on the event. My mistake.

That puts a big dent in the plans. We end the day at 1:10, which is way too early for most parents to participate. I also have to work out the timing with the Handwork and Movement teachers, who have the class at the end of the day.

Given all that, I'd like to simplify this idea. I'd like to have a normal in-class celebration. We can thank KD, and others who have made major contributions, but I won't try to build in big presentations or invite all the parents. If a few parents would like to to attend and help manage the celebration, that'd be a BIG help.

If this sounds good to everyone, I'll work it out with the specialty teachers and get the ball rolling.